60-ft Harriman Coaches
Introduced in 1906, just before Henry Ford made his famous model "T" automobile, these cars were the defining characteristics of steam passenger trains for the Union Pacific, the Illinois Central, the Southern Pacific and other associated railroads. For the traveling public, they were a step up from wooden coaches that would break like a match stick in the event of a derailment. So durable were these all steel cars that some lasted until 1968 ... A life-span of 60 years!
The great Edward Henry Harriman who controlled the Chicago & Alton Railroad, the Union Pacific, the Southern Pacific, the Illinois Central, the Central of Georgia, the Pacific Mail Steamship Company, Wells Fargo Express Company, directed the development of the "Common Standard Specifications" among the Associated Lines. The Common Standard allowed common specifications of parts, and allowed for car and locomotive design and maintenance to be shared with all Harriman-controlled railroads. This allowed economical bid prices due to the sheer size of standardized orders. Further, it allowed the Harriman-controlled railroads to standardize on part inventories and methods for car repair. These cars were designed with the distinctive arched roof and diamond underframe crossbearers, a departure from the clerestory roof design.
Developed by the Associated Lines for all Harriman controlled roads, these wide window coaches seated 68 passengers on Hale and Kilburn reversible seats. These C-4 (Common Standard Specifications CS 217) cars were built by Pullman 1909 to 1912 and numbered 395 cars. The purchase price for one of these Harriman Coaches in 1911 was $12,161.
|Item #||Southern Pacific Maintenance-of-Way
|183||No. MW 833, "SP Line Gang", Red Oxide paint scheme
During the late 1950's and early 1960's, Espee converted a number of their heavyweight passenger cars for maintenance of way services, in response to the reduction in passenger service and newer lightweight equipment being introduced on passenger trains. MW 833 is one such car that was downgraded from revenue service. The coach was assigned to "S.P. Line Gang #2 Communication Department."
|Item #||Union Pacific Harriman Coach
|187||No. 633, Dark Olive paint scheme
Coaches used in drovers service transported workers who move their livestock by train. They rode with the train carrying their livestock between the ranch and the processing plant (slaughter house). Union Pacific ran "fast" special livestock trains with drover coach to Los Angeles over their LA&SL line. The workers took care of the animals during the rest stops. With improvement to train and signaling technology, UP (c. 1947) was able to reduce their Salt Lake to LA trip from 32 to 27 hours. This eliminated the mandatory Federal requirement for rest and watering the animals every 28 hours. In the 1950's, UP just took 5 days from Omaha to LA. Stock cars were loaded from Montana, Wyoming, and Idaho and were then assembled into "Stock Specials" (later as "Day Live Stock") behind EMD F-3s, ALCo FAs or SD-24s. This Harriman coach entered Drovers service in March 1957. It was a former UP Oregon Short Line car built by Pullman 1910, Lot 3737, Common Std. Specifications 217, class 60-C-1.
|Item #||Union Pacific Maintenance-of-Way
|188||No. 902450, Aluminum paint scheme
UP No. 902450 started as UP's Oregon Short Line 100 renumbered to OSL 685. In July 1949, it was assigned to Maintenance-of-Way as 02450. It was renumbered to 902450 around 1959. Many of these Harriman cars are still in MoW service. This car was originally from a large batch of coaches that UP ordered from Pullman in 1911, Lot 3338, Plan 2387, Common Standard Specifications 217, Class 60-C-1.
|Item #||Maintenance-of-Way Harriman Coach
|193||Safety Orange paint scheme
|Item #||Ferrocarril Del Pacifico Harriman
baggage + coach
|198TS||No. 1100 Baggage, and No. 1369 Harriman Coach||$79.90|
The Southern Pacific Railroad leased a number of Harriman baggage-express cars and coaches to SP de Mexico. In 1951, SP sold a number of rolling stock to the Mexican government under the new railroad ownership of Ferrocarril Del Pacifico. The FCP No. 1369 was formerly SP 1369 Harriman coach. The exact SP origins of the 60-ft FCP baggage-express car is not known. FCP operated from Benjamín Hill, Sonora to Guadalajara, Jalisco via Mazatlán, Sinaloa. FCP was absorbed by National de Mexico in 1984 when the Mexican government nationalized the railroads.